Today is the official release date for Bend Beer! Looks like the hard work paid off:
It’s available online of course (see here), and you can find it on the shelves at the following locations so far (with more to come!):
- Barnes & Noble (Bend)
- Costco (Bend)
- Deschutes Brewery – tasting room and downtown pub
- McMenamins Old St. Francis School
- Visit Bend (Bend Visitor Center, downtown Bend)
- Des Chutes Historical Museum (Bend)
- The Brew Shop (Bend)
- Powell’s Books (Portland)
- Central Oregon Locavore (Bend)
Don’t forget the events are lining up too!
These past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of prep for the upcoming release of the book (October 21!), and the History Press’s publicist has been a dynamo and lining up signing and meet-the-author events. Here’s what we have planned so far:
- The Growler Guys, Saturday, October 25: The original east Bend Growler Guys features 36 taps of amazing beers and ciders and is the one that started it all here in Oregon! Come down from 3 to 5pm Saturday to meet the author, drink some beer, fill some growlers, and get a signed book!
- The Platypus Pub, Thursday, October 30: Starting at 6pm one of the region’s hands-down best beer bars is hosting a event just before Halloween that is sure to be awesome. Should we request costumes?
- Silver Moon Brewing, Thursday, November 6: One of the region’s OG breweries is hosting a book signing party from 5 to 8pm to celebrate the release of the book, so make sure to come down for great beer and buy a signed book!
- Des Chutes Historical Museum, Friday, November 7: The Historical Society is hosting the official book release party on First Friday starting at 6:30pm! Deschutes Brewery will be on-hand as well, pouring their award-winning beer. Come join the party and celebrate where Bend’s history meets Bend’s first brewery! Afterward we’ll lead a pub crawl through downtown Bend to visit some of the places where Bend’s beer got its start.
- Rat Hole Brewpub, Saturday, November 29: One of Bend’s newest (and smallest!) breweries is hosting an event the Saturday after Thanksgiving—come down to the Brewpub to enjoy some great food and beer and meet the author at 7pm.
- McMenamins Old St. Francis School, Thursday, December 4: The OSF is a great historic venue for a beer history book event, so be sure to join us from 6 to 9pm. There may even be a special beer from brewer Mike “Curly” White on hand too!
- Powell’s Books (Portland), Friday, December 5: At 7:30pm we’ll have a signing and meet the author along with another Oregon book release, Oregon Breweries! Come down and meet both Jon and Oregon Breweries author Brian Yaeger and be sure to purchase both books—what a great gift pack for Christmas! Afterwards there will be a pub crawl through Portland’s Pearl District.
- Belmont Station (Portland), Saturday, December 6: Come down to one of Portland’s best bottleshops and beer bars to meet both Jon Abernathy, author of Bend Beer, and Brian Yaeger, author of Oregon Breweries! We’ll be partying on the patio from 1 to 3pm and soaking in Portland’s great beer culture!
- Worthy Brewing, Saturday, December 13: What better way to temper Christmas shopping than with lunch, beer, and books? Worthy Brewing is hosting a signing and meet the author event at their eastside brewery starting at 1pm.
- Broken Top Bottle Shop, Tuesday, December 16: Along with the Platypus Pub, BTBS is one of the region’s absolute best beer bars with a great bottleshop to boot! Come down at 7pm for a signing and meet the author event and enjoy some of BTBS’s great food and beers.
Even though the book officially drops on Tuesday, the 21st, it looks like Amazon.com is already shipping it out! My brother bought an early copy on Amazon and posted this photo on Twitter last night:
That’s a great beer to pair with it, too!
Have you spotted a copy of Bend Beer in the wild? If so, let me know about it or better yet, take a photo and post it to Facebook and tag the page!
The book will hit brick-and-mortar shelves on October 21, but if you’d like to order it online, Bend Beer is available for pre-order at the following sites:
The History Press
Order direct from the publisher, and you can also select from the History Press’s entire catalog—particularly their American Palate series for beer of 34 other regional beer history titles.
Barnes and Noble
Powell’s City of Books
And in addition to being available online at Powell’s, there is going to be a signing event at Powell’s in Portland on December 5! (Stay tuned for more details on that and other events.)
Buy now at one of the above links! Or if you would rather wait to buy a copy in person we’ll have a list of available locations where the book will be for sale soon.
Here’s the front cover of the book!
Featuring amazing photography from my friend Gina Schauland!
We have an official release date for the book from the publisher! Tuesday, October 21, 2014 is the day!
I turned in reviewed copy edits last week, and should be seeing publication proofs soon. And I’ve seen a sneak preview of the cover (not sure when I can share that yet), and it looks great!
So mark your calendar for October 21. Amazon and other online retailers should offer the book up for pre-order soon, and overall the book will retail for $19.99. Keep an eye out!
I’ll continue to post updates and will post the cover when I get approval.
I officially submitted the completed manuscript to my editor today! Now begins the next stage of the process, copyedits and proofing and all the fun stuff pre-publish. But, the majority of the heavy lifting (from my end) is done.